This is one of our many SAQCC-Fire Accredited training courses for individuals interested in registering as a Gas Fire Extinguishing and Suppression Systems Designer.
Gaseous Extinguishing System Design covers aspects of Gas Suppression System Design.
This training course is for learners conducting design of Gaseous Fire Extinguishing Suppression Systems to gain knowledge of the requirements for conducting these works.
Learners who successfully complete this course are able to demonstrate comptency in and knowledge of Designing of Gaseous Fire Extinguishing and Suppression Systems.
This course assumes the learner can read, write and understand English and has a knowledge of the Installation and Commissioning of Gaseous Fire Extinguishing and Suppression Systems. Learner demonstrate knowledge of and comptency in the current applicable SANS Gaseous Fire Extinguishing and Suppression System Standards.
Designing Gaseous Fire Extinguishing Systems requires particular skills to ensure that the system will be effective when a fire condition is encountered.
This training course is only conducted online. Please forward your enquiries to email@example.com.
For the Gas Extinguishing System Designer, the following training course material is discussed but is also the prerequisite for this online course:
- Operation of Gas Extinguishing Systems - SANS 369
- Clean Agent Gas Extinguishing Systems - SANS 14520
- CO2 Extinguishing Systems - SANS 306
- Gas Extinguishing System Design
Please ensure that you have already completed training in each of these courses to ensure your success.
Topics discussed during this training course are as follows:
Module 1: The Responsibilities and liabilities of the Designer
- The responsibilities of the designer
- Interfacing with other building services
- The liabilities of the designer
- Interface with the consultant, client, insurer and fire department
Module 2: The National standards in place to be followed in the design of gas suppression systems
- The description and explanation of all the listed SANS standards for gas suppression systems
- Brief overview of the important factors of these standards
Module 3: Gas system information requirements
- Use of a gas system requirement form
- Size of protected area/s (voids)
- Altitude of gas protected area
- Volume deductions / solid fixed objects
- Ambient temperature
- Hazard description
- Projected nozzle locations
- Cylinder mounting position
- Production of a pipe route isometric
- Actuation method
- Room leakage
Module 4: Selecting the gas
- Differentiate between the gases
- Pressures of the gases
- Discharge times of the gases
- Design concentration of the gases
- Exposure times of the gases
- Pipe requirements of halocarbons
- Pipe requirements of inert gases
- Dangers associated with various gases
- Safety requirements of different gases
- NOAEL and LOAEL's
Module 5: Calculating gas quantities
- Finding gas quantity calculations in SANS 14520
- Understanding altitude factors
- Total flooding CO2 gas quantities
- Local application CO2 gas quantities
Module 6: Detailed gas system design requirements
- Hydraulic pipe design
- Pipe isometric
- Bill of quantities
- Documentation requirements
Module 7: Gas suppression system design exercises
- The design and hydraulic calculations of a gas system conducted manually
- CO2 gas design exercises
- Clean agent gas design exercises for different applications